Beavis and Butthead are Back! Hit or Miss?

Was Beavis and Butthead a Hit or a Miss?

• Hit

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Miss

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

bomb

New Geeze
Writer
Jul 15, 2020
Beavis-And-Butthead-GeezeZone.com.jpg

What do you think about the newly released Beavis and Butthead Series? Cast your vote!

If you are reading this, you most probably were a fan of Beavis and Butt-head back in the 90s! Grab your coffee and popcorns because the show is back to your screen! The two couch potatoes have been brought to life again over a decade down the line!

It's been a minute since we saw Beavis and Butt-head, leave alone the new generations who never met them. The two characters would sit, watch MTV videos, eat nachos, and laugh incessantly. Ohh, how I miss these two, they were a representation of us (teenagers) back in the days and the negative effects of too much TV!

The original creator Mr. Mike Judge is in charge of the new series. MTV is reviving Beavis and Butthead amidst mixed reactions from fans and haters. Many wished the show dead! The resurrection has rubbed the wrong way with some conservative TV viewers who think that the show is not good for the now Generation X parents and the Generation Z kids.

Have you watched the teaser of the revival show for Beavis & Butt-Head? It looks so real! In the video, a young woman wearing a facemask points out the fact that Beavis & Butt-head are returning and ask how they will represent themes like color and LGBTQ. She asks, why you (Butt-Head) and why now? Then Butt-Head responds immediately, “I think it is because we are stupid.” Beavis adds, “Yeah, not very smart.”

The video was created by Steven Anderson, a film editor, actor, and was produced by Ruhi Bhalla, who also was the voice of the interviewer. This sounded so genuine, but it was just a fun trailer, not part of the show.

Comedy Central has since then purchased two seasons together with spin-off and specials. For sure, this was the right time to get stupid with this show that rocked the airwaves in the’90s. But how has it been received so far? In 2011, Beavis And Butt-Head also made a dramatic return, but in my opinion, it was a miss back then.

Beavis and Butt-head have always been controversial since the ‘90s. This is largely because of its coarse, arrogant, damaging, and antisocial characters; it ended up angering many people. Beavis’ love of playing with fire and his supposed involvement in a real-life copy-cat act in which a kid burned down his family home prompted MTV to ban all references to fire in the show. It was even criticized on the floor of the United States Senate! That’s what made B n B to appear super quirky.

But without this courage to test the people’s tolerance for morbid and twisted animation, shows as South Park and Family Guy would never have existed. B and B opened the floor for creativity; animators began releasing more and more adult-themed cartoons. By the time BB was showing on MTV in 2011, it didn’t appear provocative; people had gotten used to that kind of cartoons.

GZone_Beavis & Butthead.jpg

Beavis And Butt-head add to the rampant ‘90s nostalgia, the culture here at GeezeZone.com community. It was genius of the creator Mike Judge to capitalize on the memories of us, who grew up in the ‘90s.

The show was amazing back then as it is now because it was a dramatization of real adult life. With a daring theme of bored teens who watch TV all day, hate school, and are always getting themselves into trouble. That was so real and relatable back in the days. This was way so real compared to how teens were portrayed on Beverly Hills, 90210 or Saved By the Bell.

Nostalgia-driven people will sure love Beavis And Butthead because it takes you back in time. Beavis and Butthead are so entertaining and very funny that I am usually amazed watching them doing practically anything. What I found very funny in this show was the music video riffing, that was very creative of the producers and MTV.

The story happening around Beavis and Butt-head was as entertaining as the dim-witted teen escapades. It is exciting and appeals to all audiences. Teenagers nowadays can connect with the lead characters, and this is the demographic that is targeted by most Hollywood shows. BB has a sense of humor and excitement that is timeless; it is a show that will be watched for a very long time in the future.

I enjoyed this show as a teenager back then, and I still find it funny and enjoyable when I look at it from an adult’s perspective now. My favorite was the hallucination scenes. It usually appears out of place from the overall storyline, even the creator Mike Judge admits it, but it was a way of showing music videos, which were the core business of MTV! It’s a fantastic alternative, quite imaginative—kind of a visual tweet.

The show, unlike hobbit and others, does not imitate other shows. It has its unique way of presenting stories, just being themselves. The producers do not try so hard to overachieve, while at the same time, they are not lazy either.

The season finale was bloody awesome; it featured Beavis transformed into his hyperactive alter-ego cornholio once in character; he causes trouble a nuisance in the Whitehouse leading to some LOL moments. What makes the scene so funny is that he was naïve to the drama around him! He is just having fun being a character that he is created that is so cool.

There is some excellent contrast between Beavis and Butthead. Beavis is the more agitated and fidgety on while Butthead appears more reserved but just as numb. I personally love them; they have a charming oblivious and ignorance to the people or places around them. They’re far from compliant, but I find them entertaining because they have their motives and interest. They leave in their little world away from reality.

They interact with the world around them hilariously and fascinatingly. It's tough to make stupid and unfocused characters to appear likable. But the show managed to be comically entertaining without coming across as annoying. The two are kooky quirky, meaning character doesn’t have to be mature and intelligent to appeal.

The head of FBI in the show is damn hilarious; I love the way he takes himself so seriously and how he depends on cavity searches to solve all these cases! It is so damn funny. While Dallas and Muddy don’t have any funny moments, their contribution to the storyline is essential, and their relationship is touching and engaging.

The animation of ‘Beavis and Butthead Do America’ was a little bit crude because of the poor or shaky movements of graphics, but that was the charm of the BB franchise. They don’t want to impress the viewers with animation but the style. The design for BB characters are interesting to look at and are well-drawn. They have strong visual personalities, and they don’t look like your usual typical cartoon character designs.

QUICK FACT:
Did you know that Mike Judge voiced both Beavis and Butthead? I thought you should know.
The return of the show is expected to start with Jodie graduating from college and entering the unforgiving and complicated world.

Adult cartoons are currently on the increase in cable and online streaming. Rick and Morty is one successful adult show that equally appeals to teenagers. Others like Family Guy and Bob’s Burgers were a success in the genre.

The beauty of animated series, unlike other TV shows and movies, is that they can be created remotely during this ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. Therefore, their production will not be significantly affected as their counterparts.

Make room on your couch for Beavis and Butthead; they sure are coming back…. Again! J

Last edited: