Oh Yeah! Cartoons (1998 – 2002): Nostalgia of Nick’s Most Popular Animation

Welcome to GeezeZone!
This is a community dedicated to the discuss all things 90's and 2000's! Here we discuss and write about old tv shows, music, movies, games, toys, etc. Feel free to join to will be able to: comment on articles , join our events, and stuff.
Join today!
1622643468874.png
What do you remember about Oh Yeah! Cartoons, besides the unforgettable name. The ‘90s was a very creative time for the cartoon industry. Right from the big production houses to the upcoming cartoon network. Top of the league was Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network. These two were head-to-head releasing shows back-to-back.

It was at the time that the movie industry in general was rapidly developing. Technology at the time was at its peak and the production houses and movie creators were taking advantage of this to improve the quality of their shows. It was around this time that 3D aminations were being tried. It was still rough on the edges, but it was still amazing to see some 3d versions of some classic shows of the 70s and 80s.

Oh Yeah! Cartoons were probably among the most nostalgic 90s cartoon network shows that are hard to shed off the memory. It probably was one of my best 90s cartoon shows. It came at a time when the silent war between the two rivals: Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon were rife. I have also split myself since they both had some cool shows.

Back in the 90s, Nickelodeon was the ultimate source of entertainment, having been there for decades. While everyone is always looking for the most up-to-date show with the most cutting-edge technology, there is something great about a nostalgic age-old cartoon from back in the day. Oh Yeah! Is one of those cartoon networks that had cartoon show that will surely exist forever. Anytime I watch some of the shows from the later 90s, I get goosebumps. The shows take my mind and soul back to the days when we used to watch TV the whole weekend long with friends.
1622643625976.png
I remember we would sometimes start watching the shows from as early as 8.am in the morning to very later in the evening. In between, we would play some Mario and PlayStation 2 just to keep our adrenaline rushing. Those were the good old 90s teen years. They were sweet moments when all that mattered to us was to catch up with the show in the early morning hours.

Nickelodeon produced several fantastic series that kept us captivated for hours on end during the ‘90s. However, while they are classic series, at this point in time they only provide fantastic nostalgia for people who grew up with them, allowing them to show their children the same characters and tales they grew up with. But did you watch Oh Yeah! Cartoons show?

Oh Yeah! Cartoon show was a mega-hit for Nickelodeon back then. I guess that is why it still has that strong nostalgic feeling every time I recall the show. Although not it was not one cartoon, it had several cartoons within it. Those cartoons that stood out from the rest would be given their own shows. For example, ChalkZone, My Life as a Teenage Robot, and Fairly Odd Parents.

Brief Background History of Oh Yeah! Cartoons.

Oh Yeah! Cartoons is a Nickelodeon cable network animation showcase produced and directed by Fred Seibert, former Creative Director of MTV Networks and President of Hanna-Barbera. It was part of Nickelodeon’s Nicktoons roster and was produced by Nickelodeon Animation Studio and Frederator Incorporated.

The first season was hosted by a variety of high school students, and the second season was hosted by Kenan Thompson of All that and Kenan and Kel, followed by Josh Server of All that in the third and final season. The Show’s theme music was written by Bill Burnett. I loved the theme music, ever since the 90s, it is still embedded in my mind! Do you still remember it? Here it goes...

As far as size is concerned, Oh Yeah! Is still TV’s biggest and most popular cartoon development. The series eventually created three half-hour spin-off shows developed by Frederator: The Fairly OddParents, ChalkZone, and My Life as a Teenage Robot, after giving several dozen filmmakers the opportunity to create 96 seven-minute cartoons.

The show Oh Yeah! on Nickelodeon offered 39 brand new seven-minute cartoons in its debut season, outnumbering the number of new cartoons and characters on any other single network. Oh Yeah! Cartoons aired and produced 96 cartoons during the course of its run.

Many of the shorts were developed by cartoonists who went on to become well-known, such as Bob Boyle, Thomas R. Fitzgerald, Bill Burnett, Jaime Diaz, Emison Greg, Eng John, Fountain John, Antoine Guilbaud, Butch Hartman, Larry Huber, Steve Marmel, Zac Moncrief, Ken Kessel, Alex Kirwan Seth MacFarlane, Carlos Ramos, Rob Renzetti, C.Miles Thompson, Byron V. Many of these animators had previously worked on Cartoon Network’s What a Cartoon! which was produced using the same concept by Hanna-Barbera and Cartoon Network Studios and was also conceived by Seibert while he was president of that legendary studio.

The rise and rise of Oh Yeah!
Oh Yeah! Cartoons is a Frederator’s second short animation incubator. With many shorts’ “incubators”, like those of 2016: What a Cartoon! For Cartoon Network in 1995, The Meth Minute 39 from Channel Frederator in 2008, Random! Cartoons by Nickelodeon by then it was called Nicktoons in 2008), Too Cool! Cartoons by Cartoon Hangover in 2012, and GO! Cartoons, Frederator Studios has persisted in the tradition of surfacing new talent, characters, and series (Cartoon Hangover, 2016).

Dexter’s Laboratory, Powerpuff Girls, Chalk Zone, Johny Bravo, Cow and Chicken, My life as a Teenage Robot, Courage and Cowardly Dog, The fairly OddParents, Nite Fite, Fanboy & Chum Chum, Bravest Warriors, Rocket Dog, and Bee and PuppyCat are some of the outstanding series spun-off from the production house.

I wish all these spun-offs had a crossover. I would love to see a crossover Nite fite with ChalkZone. This could have been epic indeed.

List of the top Oh Yeah! Cartoons Episodes and shorts.
The shows were developed into three seasons. Season one had 13 episodes and was first aired on July 9th of 1998, its last show as on February 25th, 1999. It was followed by Season Two which also had 13 episodes. It started airing on September 18th of 1999 until December 18th of the same year hosted by Kenan Thompson.

Many characters from The Fairly OddParents including those that don’t appear in transition to the main half-hour series, as they appeared in Oh Yeah! Cartoons would appear in Dark House Comics’ 50volume comic book series adaptation of “The Fairly OddParents.
The last season was hosted by Josh Server and it only had 6 episodes which started airing on December 31st, 1999 until July 18th, 2002. Well, I loved all the shows equally, but there are some episodes that really stood out. Below are some of the best episodes and shorts that I watched:

SEASON 1

Season 1 featured the ChalkZone and was created by Bill Burnett and Larry Huber in 1998. It was about a young boy called Ruby Tabootie who enters a world that is made out of chalk drawings. The second short was titled “Slap T. Pooch in What is Funny?” by Bill Burnet and Vincent Waller that was also aired in July 19th, 1998. In this short, Slap T. Pooch attempts to ascertain “What is Funny?”.

One of the most notable and popular shorts in Season 1 of Oh Yeah! Cartoons were the Fairly OddParents. Let us take a deeper look into this one. It was undeniably one of my best.

All you Need to Know about Fairly OddParents and why it is still popular today.

1622643969963.png
Here is all you need to know about Nickelodeon’s The Fairly OddParents and why it was popular back in the ‘90s.

Butch Hartman created an animated TV series for Nickelodeon and Nicktoons. Timmy Turner, a 10-year-old kid with two fairy godparents named Cosmo and Wanda and a wicked 16-year-old babysitter called Vicky, is the protagonist of the series.

The sixth through the tenth season was co-produced by Fred Seibert of Frederator Studios and Nickelodeon Animation Studio with the sixth through tenth season created in collaboration with Billionfold Inc.

The series grew out of cartoons and appeared on Nick’s animation showcase, Fred Seibert’s Oh Yeah! Cartoons, from 1998 to 2001. Due to its success, it was later picked up as a half-hour series on March 30, 2001. It originally concluded on November 25th, 2006 after five seasons, but production resumed in 2008. After Hartman left Nick in Feb 2018, production of the series paused once more.

All seasons of the show will be accessible on Paramount+ beginning July 30th of 2020. The series was announced to be revived as a live-action adaptation of Paramount+ on February 24th this year.

The Fairly OddParents depicts the story of Timmy Turner, a miserable 10-year-old kid who is abandoned by his parents and abused by his babysitter, Vicky. One day, he is bestowed with two fairy godparents, Cosmo and Wanda, who grant him every wish to make his life better. These wishes, however, frequently backfire and result in a slew of issues that Timmy must address.
Earlier episodes of the series typically deal around Timmy attempting to negotiate his regular life at home, at school, and elsewhere in town with his friends, Chester and A.J., and occasionally his parents, while simultaneously attempting to rectify a wish gone wrong and finally learning a lesson. Later in the series, Timmy wishes Cosmo and Wanda would have a child, whom they would name Poof.

Timmy later in the story acquired a pet fairy dog named Sparky. Even later in the book, Timmy is informed that, because of a scarcity of fairies, he must now share Cosmo and Wanda with his neighbor, Chloe Carmichael, who is virtually his polar opposite. Chloe enjoys sharing, animals, and anything environmentally friendly.

Fairly OddParents Storyline
1622644096762.png
Image Source:
Wikipedia
Vicky was the main antagonist at first, but as the series progressed, many more villains were introduced, including Denzel Crocker, Timmy's crazed teacher who wants to prove to the world that fairies exist; Francis, the school bully; Remy Buxaplenty, a young billionaire child with a fairy godparent named Juandissimo Magnifico, who is determined to get rid of Timmy's fairy godparent; The major goal of the Pixies is to seize control of Fairy World and the Earth; the Anti-fairies, who are similar to the actual fairies but have polar opposite attitudes and character qualities. Anti-fairies are also infamous for bringing ill-luck; and Norm the Genie, who devises a scheme to liberate himself from his lamp and exact revenge on Timmy.

Fairly OddParents Setting

The Fairly OddParents takes place in the fictitious town of Dimmsdale, California. Dimmsdale features a sign on the outskirts of town that is a parody of the Hollywood Sign. The Mayor of Dimmsdale unveils the "Welcome to Dimmsdale - Nicest Town on Earth!" sign in the episode "Vicky Loses Her Icky."

At the end of the episode, however, the President of the United States changes the word "Nicest" to "Meanest." Dimmsdale appears to be of average size, with a downtown containing large buildings, skyscrapers, and a city hall, but also uptown areas containing suburban residences (including the neighborhood where Timmy, his parents, and his friends live) and businesses, such as Timmy's school; a hospital; a jail; and a sports complex called "The Dimmadome," named after its founder and owner, Doug Dimm.

Outside of the city, Dimmsdale appears to contain rural countryside. The adults in Dimmsdale are famously moronic, frequently settling disputes with things like furious mobs, but they nonetheless manage to build a functioning community. Dimmsdale was founded in the 1660s and named after a guy named Dale Dimm, according to the episode "Which Witch is Which?"

When necessary, the program shifts to Fairy Planet, the home of the fairies, which is a floating world perched on top of some clouds and drenched in pink and purple. Fairy World is portrayed as a big metropolis complete with residences, streets, various types of buildings, and skyscrapers. The roofs of most buildings in Fairy World are adorned with crowns and stars.
1622644186963.png
The fairies have a human-like civilization, but their primary source of strength is magic, which also keeps their world afloat. A big rainbow serves as a bridge between Fairy World and Earth, yet the bridge appears to exist simply for decoration because fairies travel to and from Earth using magic. Fairy World is not literally a part of Earth, but rather a separate world in outer space near Earth's orbit that can only be reached through magic.

The bright entrance sign on the opposite side of the rainbow bridge and the gigantic wand in the center of Fairy World, which powers the fairies' magic, are two of the most noteworthy sights in Fairy World. Jorgen Von Strangle, the leader of the fairies and Fairy World, is a massive and tough fairy with an Austrian accent reminiscent to Arnold Schwarzenegger. Jorgen dislikes Timmy at first but grows to like him as the series progresses.

The city of Cincinnati, home of Timmy's favorite comic book character, the Crimson Chin, is also featured in the episode. Other locations include the dark and twisted Anti-Fairy World, the dark counterpart of Fairy World where the Anti-fairies live; the dull and gray metropolis of Pixies Inc., the home of the Pixies; and Yugopotamia, another planet where Timmy's alien friend, Mark Chang, lived until the episode "New Squid in Town!" when Timmy invites Mark to live in the Dimmsdale junkyard to escape his evil fiancée.

Brief History Behind The Fairly OddParents
Before the development of The Fairly OddParents, Butch Hartman was working at Cartoon Network on Dexter’s Lab and Johnny Bravo. When Fred Seibert contacted Hartman in 1997 about the idea of Oh Yeah! Cartoon’s series, which he was producing for Nick, Hartman first declined the offer. After Johnny Bravo was completed, Hartman chose to develop his own series rather than return to work for other studios.
1622644253006.png
Hartman began his own series by creating an image of the little child who would become Timmy Turner. Hartman was intending to call him Mike, after his brother Mike Hartman, but they got into a disagreement. Hartman wanted Timmy to be able to move wherever he pleased since he didn’t want to be stuck for a story transition.

Hartman had planned to give Timmy science powers but decided against it because Dexter’s Lab had just come out. Instead, he decided to make Timmy a magical companion. He sketched Wanda first, then realized she needed someone other than Timmy to chat to, so he drew Cosmo. After coming up with the complete premise for the show in about fifteen minutes, Hartman submitted it to Hanna-Barbera and subsequently to Cartoon Network, both of which rejected it. Hartman then returned to Nickelodeon and successfully presented it to Seibert of Oh Yeah! Cartoons.

The series was originally titled The Fairy GodParents before being renamed Oh My GodParents for a brief period of time. Bill Burnett suggested the title “The Fairly OddParents, which they eventually adopted. The Fairly OddParents began as a seven-minute short film, one of the thirty-nine short cartoons developed for Oh Yeah! Cartoons.

Hartman created ten more seven-minute short films for Oh Yeah! Cartoons, which ran on Nickelodeon from September 1998 to March 2001. Nickelodeon opted to sign up the Fairly OddParents for a full-length series alongside fellow Oh Yeah! Cartoons ChalkZone and My Life as a Teenage Robot due to the success of the short. Nick ordered seven twenty-three-minutes episodes for the series’ first season in 2000, and it debuted on March 2001 in the half-hour before fellow Nicktoon Invader Zim.

The animation in the original shorts is not as smooth as in the later series, and the designs are noticeably different (including Timmy's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Turner, who are only seen from the neck down with their faces hidden in the pilot episodes and appear to be more intelligent than they appeared to be in the preceding series, yet still easily duped by Vicky's abhorrent actions).

Other major variations include Timmy Turner's voice, which was performed by Mary Kay Bergman rather than Tara Strong. Cosmo is proven to be far smarter than he appears to be in the preceding series, but Wanda is shown to be a ditz. Vicky is also far less malicious than in the current series; she also addresses Timmy by name rather than the more commonly used "twerp."

Fairly OddParents Original Run of 2001 to 2006
1622644311801.png
The Fairly OddParents swiftly became the 2nd highest-rated children’s program among kids aged 2 to 11 on both network and cable TV trailing only Nick’s own SpongeBob SquarePants. In mid-2003, the series briefly surpassed SpongeBob as the highest-rated children’s TV program.

The Fairly OddParents also drew a large viewership, appealing to both children and teenagers as well as adults, with 14.2 million children aged 2 to 11 tuning in each week, 10.8 million adult viewers every week, and being the number one series of TV among tween audience (9-14).

Fairly OddParents Reboot in 2007 to 2012
In Feb of 2007, Hartman reported on his forum that Nick has granted The Fairly OddParents twenty additional episode slots, ensuring that production on the program restarted. Later that year, in July, a special titled 77 secrets of The Fairly OddParents revealed teased the addition of new characters to the series.
After a break of one year, Nick announced that the sixth season would restart with twelve episodes, as well as the transmission of a movie called Fairly OddBaby, which introduced a new character, a baby fairy named Poof, to the core cast of characters.

Fairly OddBaby was a huge hit in 2008 with over 8.9 million viewers; the movie was rerun the next day with over 4.8 million viewers, making it the No. 1 and 9th most viewed cable broadcast of the week in Feb 2008.

Fairly OddParents Live-Action and Season Finale
The season finale of The OddParents was in 2017. In mid-2011, a live-action TV movie called A Fairly OddMovie: Grow Up, Timmy Turner! Premiered to commemorate the 10th anniversary of the Fairly OddParents.
1622644433940.png
The film is set 13 years after the cartoon series and stars Drake Bell as Timmy Turner, a 23-year-old who is trying his hardest not to grow up in order to keep his fairy godparents, and Daniella Monet as Tootie, a mature and beautiful activist with whom Timmy falls in love.

The movie premiere drew over 5.8 million people, making it the top-rated and most popular TV broadcast on cable networks for the week of July 10th to 16th, 2011. It was also named the 2011s Top Original TV movie on Basic Cable with Kids and Total Viewers.

The good performance of Fairly OddMovie: Grow Up, Timmy Turner! Led the production of two sequels namely; A Fairly Odd Christmas and A Fairly Odd Summer, which debuted in November 2012 and August 2014 respectively. Drake Bell and Daniella Money returned to reprise their roles in both sequels.

The ninth season of The Fairly OddParents began in March of 2012 with the TV special called Fairly OddPet, which garnered over 3.8 million viewers. The official run of the ninth season began in May 2013. Season nine introduced a new character to the shoe’s core ensemble, Timmy’s beloved fairy dog Sparky. Season nine has twenty-six episodes (the most), making it the longest-running season of the series. It is also the first season to be available in both high definition and widescreen formats.

Final Thoughts

I don’t know how much you loved the Oh Yeah! Cartoons, but I guess I had mad love for the show. Since I was already a die-hard fan of The Fairly OddParents. If found it very easy to follow up with the cartoons featured on Oh Yeah! Cartoon. They all had a similar plot and storyline.

I wish there was a re-run of such a cartoon show. I would love to see how the classic cartoons would make use of the advanced technology today in animation and 3D rendering. I have a feeling that if the shows were rebooted, they will be awesome and among the most-watched animation.

What do you think? What is your recollection of
The Oh Yeah! Cartoons?