Star Wars: Battlefront retro-review (2004): Remembering the Good Old Original Star Wars Game of the 2000s

Welcome to GeezeZone!
This is a community dedicated to the discuss all things 90's and 2000's! Here we discuss and write about old tv shows, music, movies, games, toys, etc. Feel free to join to will be able to: comment on articles , join our events, and stuff.
Join today!
Star Wars: Battlefront Courtesy: Gamewallpapers
Do you remember the old Star Wars Battlefront game? No, not that EA edition that was released in 2015, I mean the real Star Wars Battlefront. The one released in 2004 for PC, Xbox, and Play station 2. I would just like to start by saying that this loading screen and maps are so nostalgic. I haven’t played this game in years, and especially since I have been playing Battlefront 2 a lot more over the years, I have missed hearing the old original Battlefront theme music so much.

Star Wars Battlefront 1 All nostalgic Maps and loading screens.

1608308087516.png

Don’t get me started on the awesome retro intro music for the main menu screen. The latest release does not come anything near the original Battlefront of 2004.

Anyway, the Old Battlefront 1 is a real gem to me as it was one of my favorite games to playback in the days. I never got to play online with anyone, but I did get to play local multiplayer with my dad and brother, which I enjoyed doing.

Unlike most modern shooters, this game wasn’t a straight team deathmatch and set out for capture in the command post with a reinforcement system which depletes each time a troop is killed or when one team has enough command post that they’re dominating the other team. Of course, this is was a series of instant actions and battling across various locations from the Star Wars galaxy.

There was also the historic campaign spanning across the Clone Wars and Galactic civil war which I also enjoyed. There are just so many things this game did right; from seamless transitions from the first person to third person mode while both of them are perfectly working together to fit your playstyle. Also making it so that sometimes its more comfortable to play as one or the other which I love continually switching between the two using the third person for going mobile and first-person for firefights.

There are also so many different ways you can play this game, creating endless amounts of replayability. You can hop in the vehicle and have some vehicular combat be it through the air or just on the ground. Or you could just stick on the ground and engage enemies on foot.

Speaking of vehicles, there are plenty of them featured across the maps, both land air, mechanical, mobile and stationary. All of which further expands the game playing field. I used to love those twin pod cloud cars on the best bit. I played it so much just to get my hand on those. I don’t know why maybe that’s only because they stood out so much from the other vehicles in the game, but also 80 ATS attacks are so much fun. Whether you’re flying around them as a rebel with the cables or your stormtroopers shooting at all the incoming ships, this thing was fun use, despite how slow it was back then.

It was a walking command post – so that’s quite effective. I also loved the rebel bunker command post.
1608309368969.png
It was much fun to destroy the command post, rather than just capturing it. I just loved rushing to get in there as fast as I could to see how quickly I could ruin it and cripple the rebel’s reinforcements.

I used to destroy the bunker then switch sides to the rebels to see how long it took to repair it, which took a very long time. Seriously you’d be sitting for what felt like the entire length of a battle just to get it back online. One thing to note about the old Battlefront game is that unlike the second one, it doesn’t have heroes. At least not playable ones.

Those weren’t introduced until Battlefront 2 of course. And why I can say honestly, I enjoyed the hell out of playing as heroes in the second release; I much like it that the first Battlefront forces you to duck out gun blazing instead and it also puts everyone on the even playing field too. There were a lot of things I liked about the first game over the second one. One of those was how all the classes are available to select from the start.

You don’t have to unlock the bottom ones by earning score or kills like in the second Battlefront. I also felt like the classes played much better in the first game as well, but that just can be me! Back to heroes, I used to think there was no way to turn off heroes in the game. So, even when there were not Bots, and I just explored maps, there was always the enemies Jedi or Sith which I always avoided like the plague because there was just no defeating them. They just end up showing up, and I remember always being chased by Count Dooku. Of course, if I were on a map like best pin platforms, I would always try to blow them up over the side which of course you know if I could they’d ever come back.

On a side note, for the PC version, which most of us used to playback then, one of the fun things I liked to do (that was possible on Windows XP) was having secondary Windows accounts so that I could load them up and sign into another one, hop in the game on the other and piled a bunch of players into a LAN lobby. I used to mess around with my little brother at the time by doing this. When he had bots I could turn them off, so that we could explore the maps or go one on one.

This game is more graphically acceptable, and it holds up perfectly. Its controls were incredibly good. Better than the latest EA releases. The nice thing is this game runs pretty well on Windows 10. Thus you can put it on modern PCs, or if you still have an Xbox or PS2, you can play it on them as well.

The Battlefront 1 is also not as expensive as Battlefront II, so you can get it to run on not so costly systems.

Well, that was my brief look at Star Wars Battlefront 1 (2004). Let us dig into the background history of the Battlefront 1.

Brief Background History of Star Wars Battlefront 1 and other related games.

Star Wars: Battlefront is a series of Star Wars film-based first- and second-person shooter video games. Players lay the part of soldiers in one of the opposing armies during various times of the universe of the Star Wars.
LucasArts released Star Wars Battlefront in 2004. It was produced by LucasArts’ Pandemic Studios. The game was well-reviewed at the time and successfully sold millions of copies in the mid-2000s. In 2005, Star Wars: Battlefront II was released by Pandemic, which also became a success.

Later, other games like Star Wars Battlefront: Renegade Squadron (2007) and Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron of 2009 were released for consoles. At the same time, Star Wars Battlefront: Mobile Squadrons was released for smartphones and other mobile devices.

LucasArts tried to create a third big Battlefront game, but no projects were published before LucasArts was acquired by the Walt Disney Company. EA DICE was then approached to create a new game called Star Wars Battlefront that was released in November of 2015.

A follow-up to Star Wars Battlefront 2, was released and produced by EA DICE, Criterion Games and Motive Studios in November of 2017.

Star Wars Battlefront Gameplay

The Galactic Republic Vs the Confederation of Independent Systems or the Galactic Empire Vs the Rebel Coalition Or the First Order Vs the Rebellion was the general structure of the game. The game had two armies, battling on separate maps. The maps are held in Star Wars galaxy, with battlefields of various themes and sizes. There are many command posts or the objectives around the battlefields that serve as spawn points and can be controlled via the player or the machine.
Units will spawn from any friendly control post, and when damaged vehicles spawn periodically in their respective control posts. Units can capture neutral or unfriendly command posts by moving towards them and standing for around 30 seconds in the surrounding. The time to grab is faster in the capture area with more friendly units.

Some cars are mobile command posts and need to be demolished because they can’t be captured. Specific structures often serve as command posts on certain maps (like Hoth or Endor), which may not be captured. Capturing posts often will work differently on some campaign missions. Playable heroes and villains play an essential part in the course of wars

The aim of many matches is to remove all reinforcement tickets of the opponent or accumulate command points, to chip off their tickets slowly. Tickets used for reinforcement are used when a unit is destroyed or when one party holds the majority of a command post on the map (usually when the losing side only has 2-3). Just one goal must be achieved.

When all the command posts are taken, the team without command posts will restore or neutralize the enemy command posts for twenty seconds. If in this time the team cannot take over a post, the game is over. Some campaign levels and multiplayer criteria vary from the general game, but the overall structure remains the same. The conquest mode of the game is vaguely based on the same name Battlefield Game mode.

Star Wars Battlefield Characters.

Many characters in films, TV series and other games were available to play including:

Darth Vader
1608309793862.png
Darth was available in Battlefront 1, but he was not playable. He is a fictional character in the Star War series. He is the lead character in the original trilogy and the main protagonist in the trilogy of the prequel. George Lucas refereed collectively to the six episodic Franchise films as the tragedy of Darth Vader.

In this game, Darth only appears in a few select campaign missions and imperial Galactic conquest combat in which the hero bonus is triggered in the first Battlefront. Darth Cannot be controlled. He spawns at the beginning of the match and proceeds to eliminate enemy soldiers until the game is over.

Luke Skywalker
1608309884372.png
Appears in the old Battlefront game as an AI bot. He is a playable character on Battlefront II (2005). He is one of the main characters in Luke Skywalker. He is Anakin Skywlker’s son, now known as Darth Vader, and is named Leia by a twin sister (unknown to him). After discovering a distress hologram in R@, it meets the old, worn-out Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi and finds two miserable droid servants from Leia, C3PO and R2-D2 (Ben Kenobi). Luke is sent from there on several wild adventures and eventually becomes the leader of the Rebel alliance.

He destroyed the first model of the Death star, and often faces Darth Vadar, finally figuring out that he is his father, defeating and redeeming the Sith Lord. Skywalker visits Mos Eisley, Hoth, Dagobah and Endor, among others. Luke bears witness to the deaths of such prominent people as Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Emperor and Darth Vader. He saves the galaxy and restores the order of Jedi.

Han Solo
1608309990435.png
In the original Star Wars: Battlefront I, Han Solo is the Millennium Falcon arrogant pilot that appeared in Episode IV: A New Hope. He is Chewbacca’s good friend, and with Han Blaster and Chewbacca Bocaster, he forms a reliable team and friendship.

Han is also the second strongest of all the good heroes, but his friend Chewbacca just beats him. Han is a trained repairman and pilot won Princess Leia’s affection. Solo comes to the rescue several times in films, and he is a crucial Rebel Alliance soldier.

In the game, Han has a great gun and a Fusion Cutter, making him the only hero to be able to fix medical droids and repair them. His detpacks are also useful for luring and killing AI enemies with an explosion. However, he is undoubtedly not a Jedi, so be careful to go with him in crowded areas.

By modding Han Solo has a storm trunk skin, but it has been scrapped, meaning that an escape from the Death Star mission has been planned, but cut along with Han trunk skin.

Emperor Palpatine

1608310160194.png
He is the Darth Sidious, or the Emperor, an imperial Hero at DICE’s Star Wars Battlefront and returns to Star Wars Battlefront as a Dark Side Hero to the Galactic Empire and First Order.

The basic assault of Emperor Palpatine is Force Lighting. This short-term attack fires a stream of lightning against the enemies in front of Palpatine, causing continuous harm to their health. The Palpatine leap is also improved by the force, enabling Palpatine to jump higher into the air than most heroes, including his apprentice Darth Vader.

In comparison to the original game, Palpatine doesn’t always float. Instead of normal leaping, Palpatine uses the force to fly several meters from the ground and then descends slowly to the ground. During this, he still can use his power dash ability to climb up rapidly until he starts to descend. Special leap allows more altitude, even though it is slower compared to other heroes.

Two players will spawn as imperial Royal Guards while Emperor Palpatine is in battle. They are fitted with a stronger T-21 Blaster and can use intelligent rockets and homing shots and other abilities.

Boba Fett
1608310248017.png
Boba Fett is the Galactic Empire’s infamous bounty hunter and hero. When Jango Fett accepted the offer to clone him for his army, the Kamino residents asked him to keep one of the clones intact to raise it as a son. The clone’s been called Boba Fett. After witnessing his father’s death on genesis at Mace Windu, Boba grew up as a bounty hunter, much like his father.

He assisted Darth Vader in the capture of Han Solo and transports the carbon-frozen solo to Jabba’s Palace, where he gets his reward. He appears to hit his end in the Tatooine sand dunes. Boba has a pistol similar to the Elite Rifle and a Flamethrower in the game. Boba Fett is a force to be taken into account the inclusion of Jetpacks.

Chewbacca
1608310400011.png
The original Chewbacca is Han Solo’s Wookiee friend in Episode IV: A New Hope. He is also in episode III: Revenge of the Sith at the battle of Kashyyyk. Chewbacca packs a big fire and is a good shot with nearly any gun.

In the original Battlefront game, Chewbacca has loads of health and is tougher than any of the other heroes, and its bowcaster packs a punch. He can even pick long-distance enemies with his Remote Rockets (very useful in the PC only XL).

Surprisingly, Chewbacca is one of the weakest fire-power heroes in Battlefront 2 because its bowcaster is ordinary, its remote rockets are only useful under some conditions, and it is relatively slow. Unfortunately, Chewbacca ends up too much as a cannon fodder. However, he is extremely difficult to kill to make up for that, since he can absorb large amounts of damage.

If one in Hero Assault uses Chewie, he can find a small secret room (near an Ammunition Droid) where he can release remote rockets. This was mad fun and should be tried atleast once in the game.

Yoda

Yoda is the Galactic and Rebel Alliance Light Side Hero in the DICE Battlefront II. His personal Jedi interceptor can also be played in Starfighter Attach and Hero Starfighters.
1608310530310.png
Yoda is a powerful battlefield force to reckon with. Despite his aged appearance and small size, he is genuinely agile. His ability to hop and dodge, along with his natural Jedi, makes him untouchable in the hands of a professional player. His tiny nature makes him a simple ambush hero. The Hero Starfighters Upgrade will shut down his lightsaber, and his height allows it to hide in large grass, bushes or items that other heroes cannot hide.

Yoda is difficult for less experienced players to manage. His lightsaber attacks are very extravagant, and if not appropriately aimed, his target will miss. His pace and stamina, however, is better than Darth Maul’s, which helps him to fight.

Darth Maul
1608310592280.png
Darth Maul is a villain in Star Wars: Battlefront series. He first appeared in episode 1: the Phantom Menace as the main character, a brutal Zabrak Sith Lord, with a double-blade lightsaber and Darth Sidious’ first trainee.

Despite his apparent death by Obi-Wan Kenobi at the end of the film, The Clone Wars Series of animation revealed that Maul had indeed survived his injuries and even appeared in the animated series of Rebels and Solo: A Star Wars Story.

When Maul pursued vengeance both on Kenobi and Sidious, he gradually established himself in the galaxy as a powerful crime lord. He abandoned the Sith individual until he had lived for years in Malachor’s Sith planet. After his escape, Maul followed up Kenobi’s lengthy-absent on Tatooine and had a final fight with him, leading to the death of the former Sith Lord.

During his final moments, Maul let go of his hate for Kenobi and realized that he was caring for the boy he thought to be the Chosen one and would one day kill the Sith, revenging all those who suffer, including Maul.

Obi-Wan Kenobi
1608310705056.png
In the original release of the Star Wars: Battlefront, Obi-Wan Kenobi was one of the leading characters of the Star Wars saga and one of the stars of the prequel trilogy.
Obi-Wan is a Jedi who studied at first under Qui-Gon Jinn before his death by Darth Maul. Obi-Wan took on a young Anakin Skywalker as his apprentice after the tragic death of his Master, and both of them fought together in the Clone Wars. Near the end of the war, Obi-Wan battled and murdered General Grievous, then one of the great Jedi Purge’s few survivors.

Later he heard of Anakin falling to the dark side, and he was forced to struggle on Mustafar against his former apprentice Sith Lord Darth Vader. Obi-Wan killed Vader, casting him on the Mustafar rivers of fire but was incapable of killing him. So Vader survived his injuries and became an even more horrific, raging beast, who was going to minister to the Galactic Empire. Obi-Wan went into exile in Tatooine, where he was to take care of Vader Son Luke Skywalker for years until he had been able to train him into Jedi and to fight Vader.

Finally, Obi-Wan began shortly training Luke, but during a fight on the death star with Vader, Obi-Wan let his former apprentice hit him and became the “one with the Force.” Despite his death, Obi-Wan continued to direct Luke as a spirit and told him to meet Mater Yoda to complete his training.

General Grievous
1608310786865.png
The original General Grievous is the ultimate cyborg leader of independent systems confederation. He is slow but very strong, and his running attack takes out everybody in his way. With guns flying all over it, many think it is incredibly difficult to fight him from a close range. But he is too slow to be fired on from long distances.

General Grievous Is a perfect complement to the powers of the Dark Side’s forces. Grievous has four weapons that function together as though he had just two and four lightsabers to fit.

In Episode III: Sith’s revenge, he is exceptionally tall, heavy *with a single punch to dent metal and take Obi-Wan and thrust him in their short but violent hand to hand fight) and has a persistent cough. He hates the Jedi; he is often seen referring to them as “Slime” and mocking them at any opportunity.

At the start of episode III, he called the shots in a fight just off Coruscant’s planet, after Chancellor Palpatine was kidnapped. He is driven from fighting and turns up on the Utapau planet, where Obi-Wan kills him when he seizes Grievous’s blaster and fires five blaster bolts into his exposed gut bag.

Other notable Old Star Wars: Battlefront Characters were:
  • Count Dooku
  • Mace Windu
  • Ki-Adi Mundi
  • Jango Fett
  • Leia Organa
  • Anakin Skywalker
  • Aayla Secura
  • Kit Fisto
  • Asajj Ventress
  • IG-88
  • Admiral Ackbar
  • Commander Cody
  • Commander Neyo
  • Commander Bacara
  • Lando Calrissian
  • Col Serra
  • Rahm Kota
  • X2, X1
  • Falon Grey
  • Master Ferroda
  • Bossk
  • Nien Nunb
  • Greedo
  • Dengar
  • Jyn Erso
  • Orson Krennic
  • Rey
  • Kylo Ren
  • Iden Versio
  • Finn
  • Captain Phasma
  • BB-8, BB-9E.

Final Thoughts

Well, the old Star Wars Battlefront was a real gem In the Mid-90s. And boy, it had loads of characters.

Who is your favorite Star Wars character? And why?

• Love
Reactions: Peterlight

Peterlight

New Geeze
Sep 24, 2020
Undisclosed
This is a great article, I never got the chance to play the game, am a old fan of star wars. I guess I never had the time for the game but now that you mentioned it, I might just look for a way to get the game.

Abizaga

Omega Geeze
Admin
Jul 13, 2019
Why is that? I still watch a lot of star wars till date, but am still looking for time to watch it right from the first episode.
I don't know. I guess over time my interests slowly changed. This time period will always be the best one for the star wars games though.