The Best Nintendo NES Shmups/Shooters of All Time List

Welcome to GeezeZone!
This is a community dedicated to the discuss all things 90's and 2000's! Here we discuss and write about old tv shows, music, movies, games, toys, etc. Feel free to join to will be able to: comment on articles , join our events, and stuff.
Join today!

The Best Nintendo Shooters of All Time List by Alexander

Kids dream of a variety of things, but I'm pretty sure one of the fantasies you and I had as kids were to be a badass military pilot. What if we could explore the great unknown in a great ship with plenty of cannons and weapons, liberating worlds by firing bad guys in the face? Well, the NES gave a bunch of players a platform by releasing some great shooter/shmup titles, and today we'll take a look at some of our favorites. Since the list focuses on space ship shooters, a game like gun.smoke, which is a fantastic shooter, isn't included. If you like playing retro shmups, the Turbografx is without a doubt our favorite shmup console. Let's get started on any shooting with no further hesitation.

Gun Nac

1617802240617.png

Gun Nac is among the most outrageous and bizarre shooters you'll ever see. To begin with, you aren't up against an army of extra terrestrial warriors. No way, indeed. Killer rabbits, bushes, sentient briefcases, and even the occasional deadly umbrella are among your enemies in this video. If that isn't enough to pique your interest, Gun Nac even throws some absolutely bizarre boss battles your way, such as a cat attempting to hit you with loose change. To top it all, Gun Nac combines the craziness on your computer with a strong control scheme and enough level diversity to keep you entertained even after you've died hilariously many times.

1943: The Battle of Midway
1617874555055.png

However, it is much better off as a result of it. This game immerses you in the role of a lone fighter pilot battling Japanese airborne powers. You'll only have a few supply planes for company and support, which will regularly provide cover fire and thin the enemy herd a bit. Otherwise, you'll have to perfect your flight skills to get through 24 levels of difficult combat, including some stages where your screen will be packed with a variety of planes and enemies shooting at you. Your rivals will be sent to the grave if you don't duck, dive, or dodge.

Gyruss
1617875009473.png

The gameplay is more akin to that of a tunnel, where you will run in a semi-circular pattern and enemies can appear in front of you before moving further into the distance, where they are more difficult to destroy. Using powerups that allow you to fire several bullets, you'll need to keep thinning the hordes. There will also be multi-stage boss fights against massive opponents, which will necessitate careful planning and quick reflexes.

That brings us to the end of our list of some of our favourite NES shooters. What are your favourite games in this genre? If you think we've skipped a great shmup, let us know in the comments. Thank you for taking the time to read another one of my blog post and I hope you've enjoyed reading, while taking a walk down memory lane for retro gaming.