Favorite forum SOFTWARE

Abizaga

Omega Geeze
Admin
Jul 13, 2019
VB 4.2.5 since 2009, and last week I took xenforo, and all I can say that xenforo is much more modern then VB. I can't say nothing for vb5 because I didn't try it and I never will, because I'm very happy with xenforo!
I actually tried vb5 but not for a serious project. The interface of the main software is cluttered and the admin cp is kind of annoying to navigate.

Reactions: GamerNYC

Abizaga

Omega Geeze
Admin
Jul 13, 2019
Thanks for sharing this info, to be honest with you, I didn't even try the demo version of xenforo....i saw some video on the YT and I buy it. It's really pretty good software.
I can't disagree with you there. I was so impressed with all the stuff that was added that wasn't in vb 3.x or 4.

JustHatched

New Geeze
Mar 17, 2020
I'll go against the grain...

IPB for me, I've been with them for years

I have had a Xenforo site shortly after it was released, it was ok, but not really my cup of tea and it still isn't, I know this site and a few others I visit are XF so I have gotten use to it, I realy can't say why or what, guess I am just to use to IPB cuz everyone else seems to love it. And I suppose its just fine if you want more or less forum only, IPB offers so much native apps and support is top notch. I remember the hype surrounding the first realease of XF and how it was going to be the death nail to all other softwares which didn't happen, sure it was the next big thing, it wasn't just a flash in the pan so to say but in the amount of years it's been around it could have been more than it is.

At the end of the day IPS and XF have 2 different goals in mind both do what they do well

I never did like vB, that said I only used it as a user and moderator but not an admin.

MyBB is decent for a freebie, no love no hate

I won't even join a site on SMF or phpbb, that crap is out dated

vB is the only one I have listed I have not owned

Other than that, woltlab, I really don't know much about it, seems to me years ago I was on a site using it but rarely see any using it now.

Abizaga

Omega Geeze
Admin
Jul 13, 2019
I'll go against the grain...

IPB for me, I've been with them for years

I have had a Xenforo site shortly after it was released, it was ok, but not really my cup of tea and it still isn't, I know this site and a few others I visit are XF so I have gotten use to it, I realy can't say why or what, guess I am just to use to IPB cuz everyone else seems to love it. And I suppose its just fine if you want more or less forum only, IPB offers so much native apps and support is top notch. I remember the hype surrounding the first realease of XF and how it was going to be the death nail to all other softwares which didn't happen, sure it was the next big thing, it wasn't just a flash in the pan so to say but in the amount of years it's been around it could have been more than it is.

At the end of the day IPS and XF have 2 different goals in mind both do what they do well

I never did like vB, that said I only used it as a user and moderator but not an admin.

MyBB is decent for a freebie, no love no hate

I won't even join a site on SMF or phpbb, that crap is out dated

vB is the only one I have listed I have not owned

Other than that, woltlab, I really don't know much about it, seems to me years ago I was on a site using it but rarely see any using it now.
Ah IPB is a great piece of software! I got lucky enough to get it maybe a few years and and I loved it! When it comes to vB, After a certain point you really aren't missing much.

GamerNYC

New Geeze
Sep 11, 2020
New York, USA
AllGamersTalk.com
Which did you enjoy more older vB or modern XF?
VB is my favorite since 2009 but as I said before, vb is the old fashion now and XF is a modern tool for 2020. I was out for many years and wanted to start a forum again with my vb and I thought for sure that they modernized software but nothing, zero. They don't support vb4 anymore so I decided for xd.

Reactions: Abizaga

Abizaga

Omega Geeze
Admin
Jul 13, 2019
Yeah honestly on vb5, even the responsive theme feels cluttered and ugly. There isn't a single thing I really liked about it. It was just such a step backward from 3.x.