The Nickelodeon Era (1977 - Present)

Welcome to GeezeZone!
This is a community dedicated to the discuss all things 90's and 2000's! Here we discuss and write about old tv shows, music, movies, games, toys, etc. Feel free to join to will be able to: comment on articles , join our events, and share your own memories! We'd love to hear them!
Join today!
Nickelodeon.fw.png
I love the nostalgia of old childhood cartoons. In my last review of the Cartoon Network, I challenged you to guess my age based on my favorite cartoons. Today, I will discuss another era, an era of Nicktoons, also called Nick.

The effect of Nickelodeon cartoons on me will last forever. Cartoon taught us a lot, they made who we are. And that is why we have that good nostalgic feeling when we look back at the good old ‘90s cartoons.

Although am making a genal assumption that you all loved cartoons, I believe many of us did. The 90’s kids would fight for “Hey Arnold!”, “Rugrats,” “Rocko’s Modern Life” and more

The later 90’s and 2000s kids will say SpongeBob and Courage the Cowardly Dog were the best shows of their time.

The notion goes back also to the Flinstones, Smurfs, and Looney Tunes of the 1970s and 1980s. These were shows that my mother admired. Flinstones was my mom's all-time favorite cartoon!

Yet the generation-long controversy of which era had the best cartoons cannot be won. The 70s and 80s baby boomers believe their cartoons were the best and most classic of all. The 90s and 2000s kids on the other hand consider their era as having the best of all generations, past, and present. The arguments continue in Rotten Tomatoes and other review sites.

There is a magical power of nostalgia and memories of the ‘90s. Today we will look back to the times and history of Nickelodeon. Nickelodeon has been received positively by both adults and kids due to its surreal nature in design and captivating storyline.
1598381467161.png
Nickelodeon had a way of developing the characters in a way that kids and adults would be related to the story. I remember watching Zack and Cody “Danimals”, I was so intrigued with the storyline, it was like I was watching it for the first time. The show was enjoyable today as it was decades ago.

Nickelodeon had an endless selection of cartoons at the time and they were all good for kids of all ages. That allowed us to choose the cartoon we preferred.

My brother was a die-hard fan of the Cartoon network. That led to lots of fights and competition in the house. Nickelodeon has done a good job to update the storylines in the classic cartoons so that they can still attract the adults; those who were kids in the ‘90s.

Cartoons should be considered timeless. There is no shame in catching up with a favorite series from the past to experience nostalgia again. Cartoons provide practical lessons and fun for children, while at the same time can be enjoyed by adults.

THE HISTORY OF NICKELODEON
Nickelodeon, also known as Nick, an American cable TV network that focuses on programming for children. It is one of the most popular networks in cable TV history.

On 1st December 1977, Nick was launched as Pinwheel, which originally aired educational fare from all over the world 12 hours a day without Ads.

The channel revived as Nickelodeon in 1979, expanded its line-up of original programming, including the sketch comedy series show “You Can’t Do That on Television”.

The Canadian-produced show, first aired at a local station in Ottawa, which is known for the iconic and popular use of green slime.

Back then, Nickelodeon had poor ratings and was mostly unprofitable, forcing the network to reinvent its entire approach. It started to place Ads in 1983 and later started a campaign to brand itself as an entertainment channel dedicated to children’s interests.

In a few months, Nickelodeon gained its foothold and quickly became the top-rated TV station in the US. It is around this time that they release shows like Double Dare children’s game show. Around the same time, they introduced Nick at Nite, an evening show that was loved by older viewers.

In the early 1990s, Nickelodeon had a production house and its own magazine at Universal Studios theme park in Florida.

Doug (1991 -94), Ren & Stimpy Show (1991 – 96), and the Rugrats (1991 -2004) are some of the original cartoons aired by Nickelodeon in 1991. By mid-'90s, Nickelodeon was the number on a channel based on the average number of viewers and was also rated among the highest-rated TV Channel in the US. Shows like SpongeBob SquarePants and the live-action sitcom icarly (2007 – 2012), frequently ranked among the highest-rated cable programs in the US.

Successful shows of the time include Blue’s Clues (1996 – 2006), Dora the Explorer (2000 – 2014), and Go, Diego, Go! (2005 -11).

Nickelodeon has been the springboard for many shows including TV land (1996), which including Nick at Nite, aired old classic shows of the network; Nickelodeon Games and Sports for Kids (1999 -2007); which was later revived as Nick Games in 2019). Noggin (1999), for the young viewers; Nicktoon (2002), which showed current and older animated series; and the N (2002), for teen viewers.

In 2009, Noggin and the N were later renamed to Nick Junior (Nick Jr.) and TeenNick, respectively, after long-running programming blocks on the parent network.

The brand and design of Nickelodeon have since been borrowed by various international entities in an attempt to push their products.

Since 1995, Nickelodeon Movies has created kid movies, a man of which have been adapted either to best-selling books or to the TV series of the network. Rugrats movie (1998) was the first non-Disney animated film to collect over $100 million and Rango (2011) won the Academy Award for the best-animated movie. Around 2017 – 2018, a musical based on the show SpongeBob SquarePants was performed in Broadway.

What do you remember?

The Theme song – “
Nick Nick Nick Nick, na Nick Nick Nick Nickelodeon!” I just can’t get this out of my head! The theme song was sweet to the ears of Gen X and Millennials.

Recently, Netflix has tapped into the Nostalgia factor of Rocko’s’ Modern Life: Static Cling and Invader Zim: Enter the Florpus. The multimillion partnership between Netflix and Nickelodeon will ensure a constant supply of great content to Nick fans. This will see the revival of many Nickelodeon characters along with new series in the future. Currently, most of the old nostalgic shows like Hey Arnold and Danny Phantom are available to stream on Hulu.

One of my favorite shows was Rugrats (1991 -2004), which was revived with the characters all grown up! An entire generation of kids grew up (quite literally) with the Rugrats franchise. The original series focused on a group of infants and toddlers led by the fearless Tommy Pickles. The babies see the world as one big adventure with an active imagination. The babies, as they’re called, can communicate with each other and very young children, but seem like normal kids to the adults around them.

The show proved to be one of Nickelodeon’s most popular, spawning three feature films (one a crossover with fellow show The Wild Thornberrys), video games, and countless toys. The series also spawned a sequel, All Grown Up, which aged up the babies into pre-teens and teens. There they had to deal with the adventures and mishaps of that age as well.

Am waiting for the day when all the shows of the ‘90s will be rebooted!

Reactions: Grizzy{w}
whoa wait a second....did i get that right...a rugrat cross over with wild thornberry's!? ? how did i miss this!? is that what you said sir?!

Man that's a good article coming..If i didn't know i bet some others don't either. I think i remember seeing commercials for it maybe.I must have been getting "older" at that time or something.started my grizzy outside as youngin . 1598437118605.png

• Love
Reactions: bomb
man i might as well ask at this rate,any other cross overs on nick?
At the very least theres a ton of cameos of other nicktoons in there. Its really cool.

:) :) Sure! But I will have to seek clearance and approval from @Abizaga
Meanwhile, I will take this as a special request...
I think that would be a great idea! You have the approval!

Reactions: Grizzy{w} and bomb
It was created in the 70’s and didn’t air on Nickelodeon until 1982 and ended its Nickelodeon run in 1994.
Oh wow so it would have been on into my early childhood! Sadly I have little personal memory of it, as I was more into bombastic and goofy cartoons by then. :(

come on no one ever mentions "legends of the hidden temple" tell me one of the homies here remember!!!
Bro of course I remember Legends of the Hidden Temple! Purple Parrots for life!
legends of the hidden temple nicksplat GIF

• Love
Reactions: Grizzy{w}